1 Vegetable/ 3 Portions
- 1 pound green beans
- 2 teaspoons rice vinegar
- ½ teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Coarse sea salt and freshly cracked pepper
- 1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Set a steamer basket in a large pot. Fill with enough water to come just below basket: bring to a boil.
Add green beans to basket: reduce heat to a simmer. Cover, and cook until crisp but tender, 15–20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, whisk together vinegar and oil, season with salt and pepper. Add green beans and sesame seeds, season with salt and pepper, and toss.
1 Protein Serving/ 1 Vegetable/ 2 Portions
- 1 ½ teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup vegetable protein crumbles (substitute 6 ounces firm tofu)
- 1 ½ cups yellow onions, peeled and chopped
- 2 cups broccoli florets, washed
- 2 cups button mushrooms, washed, dried, and thinly sliced
- 1 ounce reduced fat Swiss cheese, shredded
In a large sauté pan heat the oil and add protein. Immediately follow by tossing in next three ingredients and toss. Finish off with cheese and ready to eat.
1 Protein Serving/ 1 Vegetable/ 4 Portions
- 2 ½ cups kale, stemmed and finely chopped
- ½ avocado, peeled and pitted, then sliced
- ¼ cup thinly sliced red onion
- ⅓ cup chopped tomato (or medium tomato)
- ⅓ cup chopped red or yellow bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
- ½ teaspoon reduced sodium soy sauce or pinch of salt
Toss all ingredients, except tomato, together in a large bowl. Use your hands or the back of a large spoon to thoroughly mash avocado into kale. Stir in tomato and refrigerate. Set aside at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving to allow kale to soften.
- 2 leeks
- 4 Portobello mushroom caps
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Coarse salt and ground pepper
- 2 cups chopped cook spinach (about 2 ounces)
- 1 cup crumbled soft goat cheese
Trim dark green parts from leeks, slice crosswise and soak in cold water. Swish leeks to help loosen dirt. Repeat with fresh water until you no longer see any grit at bottom of bowl. Lift leek slices out of water, leaving grit behind, drain them thoroughly on paper towels.
Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Place mushroom caps, gill sides up, on a rimmed baking sheet, drizzle with oil and vinegar, and season with salt and pepper. Bake until caps are just tender, about 15 minutes.
Top with leeks, spinach and cheese, season again with salt and pepper. Bake until spinach wilts and cheese starts to brown, 10 to 12 minutes.